The Digital Lab for Islamic Visual Cultures & Collections invites applications for Summer 2022 internships for the Digital Munya 2.0 project. This is an ongoing multidisciplinary effort to visualise an important medieval Islamic building type, its landscape setting, and authentic interior furnishings and decoration using the Unity game engine to:
– creatively suggest visual possibilities of these vanished spaces and objects
– engage players with a specific historical time and place: Cordoba, the capital of 10th c. Islamic Spain, and
-introduce players to historically authentic patrons/users of such spaces
Internships will be focused on one of the following priority areas:
- 3D Asset creation (Models + Textures)
- VR + Games or GLAM (galleries, libraries, archives, museums)
- Audio/sonic creation for games
- Islamic Art/Architecture/Archaeology/Landscape Architecture/History/Music
Ideal candidates will bring interests in Islamic art, history and civilisation, games, digital technologies, and personal background/experiences that further the Digital Lab’s commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
Successful applicants may carry out the internship either remotely OR on-site at monuments, heritage sites, and museum collections in Andalucía, Spain and will be supervised remotely by Dr. Glaire Anderson, Senior Lecturer in Islamic Art History in the School of History of Art/ECA at the University of Edinburgh. Supervision will be in English. Interns are expected to present their research to the Digital Lab in the Fall academic term and to write a short blog post on the research for the Digital Lab’s website.
- Prior experience (academic or otherwise) in aforementioned areas
- Demonstrable skills/experience in aforementioned areas
- Confirmed access to funding to support the learning opportunity, such as the University of Edinburgh’s Learning Opportunity Fund
Deadline: 18 July 2022
Fee: £300 Applicants do not need to pay the fee to apply
To Apply: email a 1-page CV and brief statement describing your background, experience, and your interest in the Digital Munya 2.0 project to email@example.com. Statements should include an outline of planned activities, explanation of relevant experience in the qualification topics, and confirmation of access to funding for this learning opportunity.
Questions may be addressed to Dr. Glaire Anderson at firstname.lastname@example.org